Sunday, February 14, 2010

Quick Tulips





This Idea Came From: I thought it up. It is Valentines Day and my favorite flower is the tulip. So, we made a paper bouquet... well it was merely a suggestion!

Our Experience: Waiting for the chef to make breakfast, I pre-cut 8 flower heads.. and a piece of ribbon. Brought a whole piece of green paper, scissors, glue, and oil pastels (but crayons work too). We used a piece of white rolled paper so we could make the background big enough to draw on as well. Sat the young one down at the table and let her make blades of grass on her own. I cut long stems. She was chomping at the bit to start gluing and I let her put everything anywhere she wanted. I put one finger on each end of the stem and she drew a glue line by herself from one end to the other. Not a bad project for steady control and practicing purposeful application. After everything was glued I drew simple outlines of a few things and she filled in faces and details... and made a few of her own contributions... like worms in the dirt. Ha ha... cute.

The Lesson: Today she seemed to catch on of the order of things... like.. cutting first - then placing.. then glue. Even though it didn't quite make it in the spots predetermined... she was great at taking charge of her art. Confidence. I love how she started coloring the sun's rays and didn't stop until she made it all the way around. That shows stick-with-it-ness!

No comments:

Post a Comment