Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Great Anti-Toddler Gobbler






This Idea Came From: Today we have a friend over for a play date. Two against one, I was pressed to find something they would agree on. CRAFT!!!! I looked up online for cute turkey ideas.. but that were a little different. This table decoration gave me a great idea. http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/turkey-table-topper-669418/

Our Experience: Because I was pulling this from thin air... I scrambled to get things going fast.  I grabbed two large sheets of white paper and also found a turkey head online  http://crafts.kaboose.com/pumpkin-turkey.html and printed a few of them to get the girls started whilst I gathered the STUFF. Stickers, glue, feathers, sprinkles, buttons, beads, crayola, markers, scissors, eyeballs, popcycle sticks... and anything else I could grab. I am a collector of paint swatches at the hardware stores... to cut up and use in our crafty times. The colors are vibrant and not a mess maker. I drew the outlined suggestion of feathers and told the girls to  decorate each one; one with stickers, one with glued paper, one with feathers, one with marker.. and so on. They cut out the feathers with a little help- then glued them to a sheet of construction paper for stability. Then the front and back of the turkey head with a popcycle stick stacked in between. Pressed them gently and put them on the heat register on the floor for fast drying time (one flip to get both sides). I made one too... out of the leftover back grounds of sticker garbage. Kind of a good argument for saving those types of things.. as they make nice patterns.

The Lesson: This craft was perfect for almost 4 year olds... it brought them together and focused on one thing instead of zipping from room to room not agreeing on a thing! Crafts save the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment